Antigua-Barbuda Citizenship Investment Programme
Inaugurated in 2013, the Antigua-Barbuda Citizenship Investment Programme is one of the newest economic programmes in the Caribbean. Applicants and their families may acquire citizenship of Antigua-Barbuda an in exchange for a significant investment into the country.
Successful applicants can travel visa-free to over 130 countries worldwide, including the European Union, the United Kingdom (UK), Canada, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
Investors and their families may gain citizenship of Antigua-Barbuda in one of three ways:
- A one-time contribution to the National Development Fund (NDF)
- An investment in pre-approved real estate
- A pre-approved business investment
NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUND (NDF)
Antigua and Barbuda’s National Development Fund (NDF) was established by the Government to sponsor projects to diversify and support the national economy.
The minimum contribution required under the NDF option is US$200,000 plus Government fees, equating to US$250,000 for a single applicant.
INVESTMENT IN PRE-APPROVED REAL ESTATE
The pre-approved real estate option requires applicants to purchase property that they can only resell after 5 years. Ownership through a company is allowed so long as the company is a non-profit, has issued all authorised shares to the applicant, is established and in good standing under the laws of Antigua and Barbuda, and is not an exempt or offshore entity.
The minimum required investment under the pre-approved real estate option is US$400,000.
PRE-APPROVED BUSINESS INVESTMENT
The business investment option allows applicants to invest in a business that has been pre-approved by the Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU). The CIU approves a business investment after discussing it with the Antigua and Barbuda Investment Authority (ABIA).
Applicants who choose this option can either:
- Invest at least US$1,500,000 in an approved business
- Invest at least US$400,000 in a joint investment with another applicant, so long as the joint investment totals at least US$5,000,000
Applicants for the Antigua-Barbuda Citizenship Investment Programme, must fulfil the following conditions:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be of good character
- Have no criminal record
- Pass a detailed background check
- Be able to provide proof of source of funds
- Be healthy
- The main applicant is required to spend a minimum of 5 days on Antigua and Barbuda over a period of 5 years. All 5 days can be spent on either of the islands at the end of the 5-year period.
Investors may apply with their spouse and dependent children, and, in some cases, dependent elderly parents or grandparents.
- Full citizenship status
- Minimal requirement to visit Antigua and Barbuda after citizenship is granted: 5 days in a period of 5 years
- No interview requirement
- No English language requirement
- Low processing fees
- Dual citizenship is allowed
- Social and political security
- Stable economy
- Visa-free travel to over 130 countries (including the UK, the EU, and Canada)
- No foreign income, capital gains, gift, or inheritance tax
About Antigua and Barbuda Antigua and Barbuda is a twin-island country located in the Eastern Caribbean Sea. It is a tropical paradise with clear blue waters and over 365 beaches (one for each day of the year). With a year-round temperate climate, Antigua and Barbuda is a popular tourist destination. The country is also known for hosting the famous maritime event ‘Antigua Sailing Week.’ Antigua and Barbuda has been an independent Commonwealth state since 1981, and it is a member of several international organisations such as the United Nations (UN), the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS), and the Organisation of American States (OAS). The Government of Antigua and Barbuda offers a generous tax legislation and an attractive business environment.